Education in Alberta is all about choice.
Charter schools are autonomous non-profit public schools designed to provide innovative or enhanced education programs that improve the acquisition of student skills, attitudes, and knowledge in some measurable way. Charter schools have characteristics that set them apart from other public schools in meeting the needs of a particular group of students through a specific program or teaching/learning approach while following Alberta Education’s Program of Studies.
Alberta Education strives to put students’ needs first, and parents and students have made it clear that they believe choice in Alberta’s education system is one of its strengths. Charter schools also have increased responsibility for research and innovation in education. That’s why we strongly support charter schools.
Read More From Alberta Education
The Association of Alberta Public Charter Schools
The Alberta Association of Public Charter Schools (TAAPCS) is an association comprised of Alberta Education approved charter schools that choose to be members and support TAAPCS objectives. The Association is governed by a Board of Directors.
- To promote and facilitate public charter school education in Alberta
- To speak with one voice on behalf of public charter schools in Alberta
- To promote a forum for public charter schools to meet in support of common goals
- To advocate for continued innovation and choice within public education
Read more from TAAPCS
Alberta Public Charter Schools
- Almadina Language Charter Academy – Calgary (K-9: English as a second language)
- Aurora Academic Charter School – Edmonton (K-9: traditional education)
- Boyle Street Education Centre – Edmonton (14 to 19 years age group: at-risk youth)
- Calgary Arts Academy – Calgary (K-10: arts immersion curriculum)
- Calgary Classical Academy – Calgary (K-6 traditional liberal arts education)
- Calgary Girls Charter School – Calgary (4-9: delivering exceptional learning in a safe environment creating generations of strong, confident, empowered women)
- CAPE– Centre for Academic and Personal Excellence – Medicine Hat (K-9: integrated personalized program)
- Connect Charter School – Calgary (4-9: inquiry-based, technology rich, with outdoor and experiential education)
- Foundations for the Future Charter Academy – Calgary (K-12: academic excellence and character development)
- Holden Rural Academy Society – Camrose (7 -12: unique learning opportunities)
- Mother Earth’s Children Charter School – Leduc County (K-9: traditional indigenous teachings)
- New Horizons School – Sherwood Park (K-9: gifted education)
- New Humble Community School – Calmer (Leduc County) (K-6: agriculture, environment & stewardship)
- STEM Collegiate Canada Society – Edmonton (7-9: Stem learning and innovation)
- STEM Innovation Academy – Calgary (7-12: STEM infused science)
- Suzuki Charter School – Edmonton (K-7: Suzuki approach to academic, musical, and personal excellence)
- Traditional Liberal Arts Education
- Valhalla Community School – Valhalla Centre (K-6: rural leadership and direct instruction)
- Westmount Charter School – Calgary (K-12: gifted education)
Charter School Studies and Documents